A new programme of learning for anyone who wishes to explore faith in a stimulating and open way.
Living the Questions is a study for the countless people of faith who have suffered in silence as the voices of fear and certitude claim to profess the unchanging truth of Christianity. Its purpose is to provide a resource for the discussion of what is already believed by many faithful people still holding on within institutional religion, while harbouring a conviction that what the church teaches isn’t the whole story. It is an open-minded alternative to courses that attempt to give people all the answers and instead it strives to create a safe environment where people have permission to ask all the questions they have always wanted to ask but have been afraid to voice for fear of being thought a heretic. It is intended not only for church members, but also for those who may consider themselves “believers in exile” – those who have left the Church because of its refusal to take their questions seriously.
How does it work?
Living the Questions (LtQ) is a DVD-based programme exploring themes of Christian faith. We will be looking at the first unit of 7 sessions “Invitation to Journey”. Each section lasts about 20 minutes, featuring many prominent teachers and theologians and supplemented by participant guides with weekly reading and discussion questions (go to YouTube for a useful taster! living the questions youtube taster youtube taster2 ) Our meetings will be quite informal, built around a simple supper and sharing our responses to what we have watched. The Minister will lead each session.
What does it involve?
- Thursday evenings—September 2nd, 9th, 16th, 23rd and 30th; then October 7th and 21st. All meetings within Church Centre.
- Each evening will begin at 7.30 pm with coffee and will end by 9.30 pm at the latest.
- For this first programme there will be space for 20 people, on a first-come basis—it is hoped to repeat the programme at a future date and so provide further opportunity to take part.
- Those wishing to take part are asked to commit to the whole series (inevitably there will be unavoidable absence, but the intention should be to attend all 7 meetings).
- The programme is expensive to purchase. There will be a charge of £10 per person for the whole course.
The producers of LtQ say this programme is NOT for:
- those who personal faith requires them to believe that the Bible is the inerrant and infallible word of God.
- those who believe that the doctrines of the church are sacrosanct and never to be questioned.
- those who believe the reason the mainline churches have been losing members is because they haven’t been teaching ‘orthodox’ Christianity or preaching the true Gospel.
Living the Questions does not try to provide easy answers, but to be a resource for people who are in the midst of a life-long conversation about the mysteries of religious faith and life.
If you are interested….
Please give your name and contact details, as soon as possible, to the Minister (Office 854903 / Manse 853189 or email firstname.lastname@example.org