Adjacent to the East window, is a smaller three-light window in the south wall, which was also designed by Sir Edward Burne-Jones and made at the same studio at Merton Abbey in 1907.
A similar broad manner of treatment to that of the larger window is shown An angel figure on each light is making music and almost seeming to contribute to the praise of the heavenly host in the great east window.
The inscription on the brass tablet below the window reads “In loving memory of Jean Arthur, beloved daughter of John and Jane Wordie, who died 22nd February, 1902, in her fifteenth year”
She was apparently a grandchild of the people who donated the window.
The outside of the Church has several points of interest. It will be noticed that the hood mouldings of the windows terminate in gargoyles which represent local worthies of the early 19th century.
Those on the North side of the Church are unknown, but several of those displayed on the south side of the Church have been identified.
Those on the first window on the south side are unknown but in the second window, the gargoyle on the left represents one Jamie Redd(Read or Reid?) who came originally from Holytown, and who “loved the cup and the jest his face was one constant grin- and being dead he yet grinneth”
The figure on the right represents Jenny Inglis, who lived alone in the Kirkstyle, the group of tenements which then stood next to the “Douglas Arms”. She appears to have been a much respected figure in the village, and may be identical with the Janet Inglis who was a member of the Bothwell Wells and Greens Committee, which was set up in 1816 to manage the wells from which the village of Bothwell then drew its water
In 1823, a Janet Inglis was made a key holder of the Thorntree Well, which was situated at the head of Green Street on the site later occupied by the later public drinking fountain which was erected by public subscription in 1888.
In the case of the two figures above the third window, the identity of the left-hand figure is unknown, but the right hand figure represents Margaret or “Meg” Steele, who was the proprietrix of the “Douglas Arms” public house( or its predecessor on that site).
She was known as “Cleanly Meg” for the cleanly condition of her public house.
In the case of the fourth window, it is the identity of the left hand figure which is known, It represents William Allan, for almost 40 years, the schoolmaster or “Dominie” at Bothwell.
William Allan’s life was not easy, to begin with at least, since his appointment faced the determined , but ultimately unsuccessful opposition, of the minister, Dr Michael Mc.Culloch, who defied the Heritors of the parish and the Presbytery in his efforts to have Mr Allan removed.
The case became something of a “cause celebre” going all the way to the House of Lords., before being decided in favour of the Presbytery and the Heritors
The figure to the left of the fifth window represents Jamie Watson, gravedigger of Bothwell.
The medieval Priests’ Door is worth a look, as is the roof above it, covered as it is by many of the original medieval hand-cut stone tiles.
Immediately to the right of the doorway can be seen two small cavities in the stone, one very small and round, and below it a declivity which is shallower and more oval in shape.
You are looking at a “sinners’ niche” . The small round hole probably once contained an iron staple to which was attached a chain which ended in a metal collar.
The sinner probably had to kneel down with the collar round his neck and place his head or face in the shallow oval niche.
To the right of this is a small square burial ground surrounded by a metal rail. Two graves, belonging to members of the Hozier family can be seen. The third is still unoccupied.
The second, or middle grave is that of Catherine Margaret Hozier, who was the grandmother of Lady Clementine Churchill (nee Hozier)